Current Affairs News Analysis | Prelims & Mains 2020 | 27th July 2020
“If you want to make a permanent change, stop focusing on the size of your problems and start focusing on the size of you!” –T. Harv Eker
Chloroquine does not inhibit SARS-CoV-2 spread in human lung cells: Study
WHY IN NEWS:
In a recent study is to be believed, however, chloroquine has been found ineffective as a preventive cure.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Health:Diseases
German Primate Center (DPZ) at Leibniz Institute.
- The anti-viral activity of chloroquine is cell type-specific and does not block the infection of lung cells.
- The SARS-CoV-2 virus uses two different routes to enter cells.
HOW COVID-19 ENTERS HUMAN BODY
- One route is for the virus to fuse directly with the plasma membrane of the cell .
- Another route is for the virus to reach the interior of the cells upon uptake through endosomes (transport structures).
- The viral spike protein of the SARS-CoV-2, in both cases, is responsible for its attachment to cells.
- The activation can be done either by both or one of the enzymes.
- Chloroquine — in the monkey cells — inhibits the virus’ entry, most likely by blocking Cathepsin L.
- Chloroquine has also often been touted by world leaders.Ex :President Donald Trump — who said that he was taking the drug as a preventive measure.
- In March, the ICMR gave its assent for using the drug under exceptional circumstances.
This means care should be taken for using relevant cell lines to not waste unnecessary time and resources in our search for testing effective COVID-19 therapeutics.
- COVID-19 is primarily caused by the infection of lung cells.
- For this reason, these cells should be given priority in efficacy tests.
200 Proposals from China on hold
200 proposals from China wait for security clearance by MHA
WHY IN NEWS:
New investment policy is aimed at preventing hostile action amid pandemic
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 2 : 3 : FDI
- Making prior government approval mandatory for foreign direct investments (FDI) from countries which share a land border with India.
- As FDI is allowed in non-critical sectors through the automatic route, earlier these proposals would have been cleared without the MHA’s nod.
REVISED IN APRIL
- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) notified the new FDI policy on April 18.
- An entity of a country, can invest only under the Government route.
MAY PULL OUT
- However, none of the proposals have been cleared so far.
- It is possible that many might withdraw due to the delay or stringent conditions put in place now.
Investors from countries that are not covered by revised FDI new policy only have to inform the Reserve Bank of India after the completion of a transaction rather than seek prior clearance from the administrative ministry.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB | Current Affairs News Analysis | Prelims & Mains 2020
Tsirkon (Zircon) hypersonic cruise missile
Russian Navy will soon get hypersonic n-weapons
WHY IN NEWS:
Putin Navy will get 40 new vessels this year
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Defence
TSIRKON (ZIRCON) HYPERSONIC CRUISE MISSILE
- Tsirkon (Zircon) hypersonic cruise missile can be deployed on surface ships.
- The Zircon missile is strategically valuable due primarily to its speed.
- It was reported that the Zircon had reached a speed of Mach 8 during a test.
- Another valuable aspect of the missile is its plasma cloud.
- During flight, the missile is completely covered by a plasma cloud that absorbs any rays of radio frequencies and makes the missile invisible to radars.
- This allows the missile to remain undetected on its way to the target.
The weapons, some of which have yet to be deployed, include the Poseidon underwater nuclear drone, designed to be carried by submarines.