“Work like there is someone working 24 hours a day to take it all away from you.– Mark Cuban”
29th Aug Current Affairs News Analysis | Prelims & Mains 2020
Department of Food & Public Distribution to organise activities to celebrate Poshan Maah
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : Poshan Maah : Malnutrition
- The Poshan Maah is observed every year in the month of September.
As part of this, the DoFPD through its organisations have decided to organise activities as suggested by M/o Women and Child Development, in various parts of the country to sensitize the target groups on the merits of nutritional security.
SOURCES: PIB | 29th Aug Current Affairs News Analysis
Bureau of Police Research and Development
Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D) celebrating its Golden Jubilee Anniversary today
WHY IN NEWS:
Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah says “BPR&D has played a vital role in strengthening India’s internal security through research & development”
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 2 : Governance
BUREAU OF POLICE RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
- It is under the Ministry of Home Affairs .
- It was formed for giving a new orientation to then existing Police Research and Advisory Council (1966) .
- To take direct and active interest in the issues
- To promote a speedy and systematic study of the police problems,
- To apply science and technology in the methods and techniques used by police.
In addition and as a secondary, the Resolution mandated an advisory role also for the Bureau.
CHARTER OF DUTIES
- Research, Statistics and Publication
- Training is a vital and growing requirement to improve the competency of police forces in the country.
The government of India in accepting its recommendations created a Training Division (1973) .
- The forensic science services and a separate Directorate of Forensic Sciences under the BPR&D came into existence in 1983.
- In 1995 Government of India decided to entrust problems relating to prisons reforms can be taken up by the Bureau in a cohesive manner.
- During the year 2008, the Government of India further decided to create National Police Mission under the administrative control of BPR&D.
- This is to transform the police forces in the country into effective instrument for maintenance of internal security .
1. The Institute of Criminology and Forensic Science (ICFS) was established under the overall supervision and guidance of BPR&D in 1976.
- The same which has been re-christened in the year 1991 is now functioning as Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan (LNJN), National Institute of Criminology and Forensic Science from 1982.
2. Growth dynamics took over and the need to specialize in each area arose.
- Simultaneously technological innovations particularly computers held promises of support to many areas of crime control and crime detection .
- The Government of India, therefore, decided to establish a National Crime Records Bureau in 1986 .
3. In an identical move, Forensic Science Division by creating a Forensic Science Directorate having an autonomous status under the direct control of the Ministry of Home Affairs.
New thinking and emerging technologies and making police forces capable for the security of the nation is an important aspect of a new and Atmanirbhar Bharat