AK-203 Assault Rifles and Ka-226T Helicopters | UPSC
Russia agrees to speed up defence deals
WHY IN NEWS:
Long-pending contracts for AK-203 assault rifles and Ka-226T light utility helicopters figure in talks
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Defence
For PRELIMS go through the specifications of each . Numbers are not important .
For MAINS do you think ordinance board and DRDO should be integrated for world class manufacturing ecosystem ?
- This an advanced version of AK-47.
- It’s magazine can hold 30 bullets.
- The gun has an effective range of 400 metre and is considered 100% accurate.
- It will be lighter and shorter than an INSAS rifle.
- AK-203 variant of the Kalashnikov family of rifles.
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS OF THE AK-203
- 3.8 Kg weight (without accessories and with an empty magazine)
- A firing range of 800 m
- Firing rate of 700 rounds over minute
- A barrel length of 415 mm
- A Folding buttstock
- A total length of 943 mm and width 704 mm
- A standard plastic 30 round magazine
- The Ka-226T is a light, twin-engine multi-role helicopter offered by Russian Helicopters, for military and civilian missions.
- The military version of Ka-226T is designed for operation in hard-to-reach upland conditions as well as hot and cold climates.
- The Ka-226T is produced by Kumertau Aviation Production Enterprise and is currently in service with the Russian Air Force.
- Helicopter has new avionics with multifunctional displays
- Automatic control system
- Navigation system and radar.
- It can be equipped with hoist system, helicopter sling, searchlight,additional external fuel tank.
- For search and rescue missions helicopter can be equipped with medical module.
ENGINES AND SPEED
- Power for the Ka-226T comes from two Turbomeca Arrius 2G1 engines.
- The rotorcraft is equipped with engine fire protection system and fire warning system.
- The helicopter can fly at a maximum speed of 250km/h and cruise speed of 220km/h.
- During the Defence Expo 2020 in Lucknow, Major-General Sengar (Retd.) announced that the IRRPL facility in Amethi would produce the AK-203 at an annual rate of 75,000 carbines a year for a period of 10 years in total.
- Russia and India are evaluating the possibility of using Indian aviation materials in the production in India, which will give the programme a new indigenisation angle and also an impetus to the domestic aero industry.