ARIIA-2020 | UPSC
Vice President of India Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu virtually announces ARIIA-2020 (Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements) in presence of Union Education Minister and MoS for Education Ministry
WHY IN NEWS:
Vice President asks researchers to come up with innovations to solve farmers’ problems
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Education
For PRELIMS no need to go through the ranking . Look into indicators and features . They are important .
For MAINS if you can remember the toppers name well you can quote ARIIA in your answers .
ATAL RANKING OF INSTITUTIONS ON INNOVATION ACHIEVEMENTS 2020 ( ARIIA )
- The buzzword across the globe for the 21st century is ‘Innovation’.
- Hon’ble Prime Minister of India has declared decade 2010-20 as the ‘Decade of Innovation’, to unleash the creative potential of every Indian.
- For India to emerge as a global innovation hub higher education institutions (HEIs) need to play a crucial role to create a sustainable innovation ecosystem.
- Hence, ideally all HEIs should have a comprehensive and functional mechanism to convert research into innovations.
- This ecosystem will encourage, inspire and nurture young students by exposing them to new ideas.
- The Vice-President of India Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu today virtually announced Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA) 2020.
- He said the AICTE, ICAR, NIRD and agriculture universities should work in unison to bring new innovations and technologies to farmers.
- This year, ARIIA announcement included classification of the institutes into two broad categories and six sub categories.
- IIT Madras bagged the top position under the category of Institutes of National Importance, Central Universities.
ABOUT ARIIA 2020
- Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA) is an initiative of Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Govt. of India .
- The calculation is based on indicators related to “Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development” amongst students and faculties.
- Measuring Innovation & Startup ecosystem based on Input, Process, Output and Outcome based parameters.
- Focusing on both quantity and more on quality aspects of Startup Eco-System available at Institute.
- Also measure the impact created by these innovations and Startups from Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs) in society and market.
- ARIIA ranking will certainly inspire Indian institutions to reorient their mind-set.
- It will build ecosystems to encourage high quality research, innovation and entrepreneurship.
- ARIIA will set tone and direction for institutions for future development.
- Thus making them globally competitive and in forefront of innovation.
- Budget & Funding Support.(20 Marks)
- Infrastructure & Facilities.(10 Marks)
- Awareness, Promotions & support for Idea Generation & Innovation.(20 Marks)
- Promotion& Support for Entrepreneurship Development.(20 Marks)
- Innovative Learning Methods & Courses.(14 Marks)
- Intellectual PropertyGeneration, Technology Transfer & Commercialization.(10 Marks)
- Innovation in Governance of the Institution.(06 Marks)
ARIIA-2020 | Parameters
SALIENT FEATURES OF ARIIA
- ARIIA metrics considers all major parameters used globally to rank education institutions.
- The parameters are primarily organized in major broad parameters with 7 indicators .
- Each broad head has an overall weight assigned to it.
- Within each head, the various sub-heads also have an appropriate weight distribution.
- Scores is computed based on the weights allotted to each head.
- Overall score can take a maximum value of 100 .
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA OF ARIIA
- All recognized Higher Educational Institutions of India are eligible to participate in the ARIIA ranking.
- This year, a special category for higher educational institutions for women has been introduced to encourage women and bringing gender parity.
- In the areas of innovation and entrepreneurship, top place for which was secured by Avinashilingam Institute for Home Science .
Innovation is the key to turn knowledge into products, services and offerings for economic growth and social development.