Indian Air Force Inducts Indigenous Airborne Rescue Pod for Isolated Transportation (ARPIT) | UPSC
Indian Air Force Inducts Indigenous Airborne Rescue Pod for Isolated Transportation (ARPIT)
WHY IN NEWS:
The Indian Air Force has designed, developed and inducted an Airborne Rescue Pod for Isolated Transportation (ARPIT).
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Defence :
For PRELIMS look out for the features and its specs ! Keep an eye on safety measures included.
For MAINS do you think testing the ruggedness of such equipments to industry standards is too important ?
This pod will be utilised for evacuation of critical patients with infectious diseases including COVID-19 from high altitude area, isolated and remote places.
- AIR LIFT : Requirement of an air evacuation system with facility to prevent spread of infectious aerosol from a COVID-19 patient during air travel was felt by IAF when COVID-19 was declared as a pandemic.
- SELF RELIANCE : Supporting the “Atmanirbhar Bharat” call by Hon’ble Prime Minister, only indigenous materials have been used to fabricate this pod.
- LIGHT WEIGHT : The system has been developed as a lightweight isolation system made from aviation certified material.
- DURABILITY : It has a transparent and durable cast Perspex for enhanced patient visibility which is larger, higher and wider than the existing models.
- INSTRUMENTS : The isolation system caters for suitable number of air exchanges, integration of medical monitoring instruments, and ventilation to an intubated patient.
- SAFETY : In addition, it generates high constant negative pressure in the isolation chamber for prevention of infection risk to aircrew, ground crew and health care workers involved in air transportation.
- DESIGN PARAMETERS : The design integrates life support and monitoring instruments (defibrillator with multipara monitor, pulse oximeter, Infusion pumps etc)
- ENDURANCE : Long arm gloves for use by health care professionals and power pack with high endurance.
The IAF is inducting a total of 7 ARPITS as of now.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB | Arpit UPSC |
DISCOVER MORE : TRENDING IN DEFENCE