Ayushman Sahakar Scheme | UPSC
Union Minister of State for Agriculture Shri Parshottam Rupala launches Rs. 10,000 crore NCDC Ayushman Sahakar Fund for creation of healthcare infrastructure by cooperatives
WHY IN NEWS:
Cooperatives utilizing the scheme would be able to bring revolution in comprehensive health care services in rural areas
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Scheme
For PRELIMS go through the objectives and also the functions of NCDC.
For MAINS revise NHP once . Let us dive in !
AYUSHMAN SAHAKAR SCHEME
- Hon’ble Prime Minister has launched the National Digital Health Mission on 15 August, 2020.
- This will bring a new revolution in India’s health sector and it will help reduce problems in getting treatment with the help of technology.
- Aligning itself with the focus on National Health Policy 2017, aimed at shaping the health systems in all its dimensions .
- There is need to have a comprehensive approach – hospitals, healthcare, medical education, nursing education, paramedical education, health insurance and integrate with holistic health systems such as AYUSH.
- Accordingly, NCDC has introduced AYUSHMAN SAHAKAR Scheme.
Objectives of the scheme are:
a) To assist provision of affordable and holistic healthcare through hospitals / healthcare / education facilities by cooperative societies
b) To assist promotion of AYUSH facilities by cooperative societies
c) To assist cooperative societies meet the objectives of National Health Policy
d) To assist cooperative societies participate in the National Digital Health Mission
e) To assist cooperative societies provide comprehensive healthcare including education, services, insurance and activities related thereto.
ACTIVITIES COVERED UNDER AYUSHMAN SAHAKAR
a) Infrastructure for creation, modernization, expansion, repairs, renovation of hospital, healthcare and education infrastructure .
b) Telemedicine and remote assisted medical procedures
c) Logistics health, healthcare and education
d) Information and Communication Technology related to digital health,
e) Health insurance accredited by Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA).
- Any Cooperative Society registered under any State/ Multi State Cooperative Societies Act in the country shall be eligible for the financial assistance subject to fulfilment of guidelines under the scheme.
- NCDC assistance shall be provided either through the State Governments/ UT Administrations or directly to the cooperatives which fulfil NCDC Direct Funding guidelines.
- Government of India/ State Dovetailing with other schemes or programmes of Government/ Other funding Agency is permitted.
As per actual requirement.
- This will include 1-2 years moratorium on repayment of principal.
- It will depend on the type of project and its ability to generate revenue.
RATE OF INTEREST
- As per NCDC circular for interest rate as amended from time to time.
- As an incentive, NCDC will provide 1% less than applicable rate of interest on term loan for the project activities; in case of borrower cooperative society where women members are in majority .
- This will be for the entire tenure of the loan only if timely repayments are made.
- NCDC loan assistance is proposed to be dovetailed with subsidy/ grant/ VGF/ any other mechanism of Government of India or State Government or any other Funding Agency.
NATIONAL COOPERATIVE DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION (NCDC)
- National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) is an apex level statutory autonomous institution set up by the Government of India under an Act of the Parliament in 1963.
- It also includes foodstuffs, industrial goods, livestock, certain other commodities and services like hospital & healthcare and education etc. on cooperative principles.
- NCDC is under the administrative control of the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Government of India.
- It extends financial assistance to cooperatives at all the three tiers, Primary, District and Apex / Multi–State.
- NCDC follows a simple, transparent, and robust system of appraisals and approvals through its 18 Regional Offices.
- Its Head Office in New Delhi.
- It is the most preferred financial institution for cooperatives.
- Hospital, healthcare and education are notified services under the NCDC Act as per Gazette Notification of Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
- NCDC extends financial assistance for notified services.
- Primary, Secondary and Tertiary healthcare institutions run by Cooperatives with NCDC assistance have been serving the people successfully.