BIN-19 | Internet of Things | UPSC
Kerala Start-ties up with SCTIMST to launch IoT (Internet of Things) based used mask disposal smart bin & UV light-based disinfection device to beat COVID 19
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Recent Innovations
For PRELIMS look out for features and specifications of both the instruments .
For MAINS do you think this could be implemented on large scale basis ?
- The disposal device, named BIN-19, developed Chitra UV based face mask disposal bin technology from the Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST), Trivandrum .
- The IoT-based BIN-19 (Internet of Things) is used for collecting and disinfecting Used Face-Mask.
- The device has been subjected to a series of successful microbiological tests by Sree Chitra Lab.
- Used masks dropped inside a container of the bin will be first disinfected by a process.
- The disinfected masks will be transferred to another container inside the Bin.
- The person dropping the mask can sanitize her hands with the help of the automatic sanitizer dispenser attached to the Bin-19.
- There is no need to touch or operate any switches in the Bin to do all these.
- All functions are automated in the hands-free equipment for the safety of users and health workers.
THE IOT FEATURES OF BIN-19 ARE
- Auto Sanitizer Dispenser ( remotely alerts if it’s empty),
- Mobile Application to navigate/find Bin-19,
- Web Portal for Status Alerts,
- Power ON/OFF alerts,
- Box open alerts.
- It is a multipurpose disinfector device with ultraviolet disinfection lamps.
- With internal reflective surfaces and UVC Lamp, the device disinfects a board range of microorganisms.
- The device is mainly used for disposing of the contaminated or used face-mask and for reusing the UVC stable metallic products.
- This device is proven under a microbiological test conducted by Sree Chitra Lab.
- These products will be assets for beating the COVID19 in the state.
- The products would also help in preventing environmental damages.
SOURCES: PIB | BIN-19 Internet of Things UPSC
DISCOVER MORE : Important UPSC Science and Technology Articles