CORPAT 2020 : Indo-Thai Coordinated Patrol | UPSC
CORPAT 2020 : Indo-Thai Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT)
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Defence
For PRELIMS this is an easy to remember ; exercise between India and Thailand . Keep an eye on features , aim and the participants of the exercise .
For MAINS note down the significance of such exercises . These can fetch you more marks if you are able to quote them in answer relevant to India-Thailand , Strait of Malacca , Indo-Pacific Security etc. Let us dive in !
CORPAT 2020 : INDO-THAI COORDINATED PATROL
- The 30th edition of India-Thailand Coordinated Patrol (Indo-Thai CORPAT) between the Indian Navy and the Royal Thai Navy.
- Also , to reinforce maritime links, the two navies have been carrying out CORPAT along their International Maritime Boundary Line twice a year since 2005.
- Indian Naval Ship (INS) Karmuk, an indigenously built Missile Corvette .
- His Majesty’s Thailand Ship (HTMS) Kraburi, a Chao Phraya Class Frigate
- Dornier Maritime Patrol Aircraft from both the navies are participating in the CORPAT.
- CORPAT builds up the understanding and interoperability between navies .
It facilitates institution of measures to :
- Prevent and suppress Illegal Unreported Unregulated (IUU) fishing
- Drug trafficking
- Maritime terrorism
- Armed robbery and piracy.
- The exercise is part of Government of India’s vision of SAGAR (Security And Growth for All in the Region).
- Also, other capacity building and capability-enhancement activities are conducted, on their request.
- India and Thailand have especially enjoyed a close and friendly relationship covering a wide spectrum of activities.
- The interactions between both the countries have strengthened over the years.
- The 30th Indo-Thai CORPAT will contribute towards Indian Navy’s efforts to consolidate inter-operability and forge strong bonds of friendship with Royal Thai Navy.
- The 30th edition of India-Thailand Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) concluded in the Andaman Sea close to the strategic Strait of Malacca.
SOURCES: PIB | CORPAT 2020 : Indo-Thai Coordinated Patrol | UPSC