Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) 2020 | UPSC
Union Education Minister announces setting up of Centre of Excellence for Indian Knowledge System at IIT Kharagpur
WHY IN NEWS:
Initiatives like GIAN, GIAN+ and other funded research programs could be the right resources to spread this to the global students and researchers community.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Scheme
For PRELIMS shift yourself for a minute to IIT-K and read it like a student of IIT-Kharagpur. Now focus on ; aim , objectives , procedure and eligibility .
For MAINS pick the key initiatives out ; Faculty development program , tapping the resources etc . You can easily embed such examples in your Mains answer copies. Let us dive in !
GLOBAL INITIATIVE OF ACADEMIC NETWORKS (GIAN)
- Govt. of India approved a new program titled Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) in Higher Education .
- This will augment the country’s existing academic resources, accelerate the pace of quality reform.
- Also , GIAN scheme will elevate India’s scientific and technological capacity to global excellence.
- To increase the footfalls of reputed international faculty in the Indian academic institutes.
- Provide opportunity to our faculty to learn and share knowledge and teaching skills in cutting edge areas.
- To provide opportunity to our students to seek knowledge and experience from reputed International faculty.
- To create avenue for possible collaborative research with the international faculty
- To increase participation and presence of international students in the academic Institutes.
- Provide opportunity for the technical persons from Indian Industry to improve understandings and update their knowledge in relevant areas.
- Motivate the best international experts in the world to work on problems related to India.
- To document and develop new pedagogic methods in emerging topics of national and international interest.
- In order to garner the best international experience into our systems of education, GIAN enable interaction of students and faculty from all over the world.
- A system of Guest Lectures by internationally and nationally renowned experts would be evolved along with a comprehensive Faculty Development Programme .
- The scheme is not only for new IITs, IIMs, IISERs but also other institutions in the country.
PROCEDURE FOR JOINING GIAN SCHEME
The Institute should send following documents to the office of the National Coordinator at IIT Kharagpur :
- Formal request letter from the highest Authority (VC / Director) of the Institute.
- NAAC ‘A’ grade certificate
- Proof of NIRF Ranking in top 200
- Formal office order for appointment of local coordinator.
After the receipt of the documents and successful verification, the Institute name will be added in the GIAN program.
- Some American Professors have raised issue of intellectual property related to recording of the lectures and copyright concerns.
SOURCES: PIB | Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) 2020 | UPSC