GPT-3 | AI Based Language Generating Software | UPSC
AI called GPT-3 (Generative Pre-trained Transformer 3 ) can now write like a human without thinking like one
WHY IN NEWS:
GPT-3 is capable of producing excellent syntax.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Science and Technology : AI
AI BASED GPT-3 SOFTWARE
- The AI-based language generating software GPT-3 has ability to produce passages of writing that are convincingly human-like.
- This invention reveals a natural yet aberrant collusion in people’s minds between the appearance of language and the capacity to think.
- The program is created by Elon Musk’s OpenAI.
- It may be considered or appears to exhibit, something like artificial general intelligence (AGI).
- GPT-3 works by “digesting” colossal databases of language content to produce, “new”, synthesised language content.
- It is profoundly unable to reason or show any sign of “thinking”.
- If the goal is to create a system that can chat, fair enough.
- GPT-3 shows AI will certainly lead to better experiences than what has been available until now.
- But if the goal is to get some thinking into the system, then we are nowhere near.
- GPT-3 is a language smoke machine, entirely hollow of any actual human trait or psyche.
- It is just an algorithm, and there is no reason to expect that it could ever deliver any kind of reasoning.
FILLING IN THE GAPS
- Part of the problem is the strong illusion of coherence we get from reading a passage produced by AI such as GPT-3 because of our own abilities.
- To extract meaning from the world and construct a coherent account of any situation we analyse a lot.
- When we read a GPT-3 output, our brain is doing most of the work.
- We make sense that was never intended, simply because the language looks and feels coherent and thematically sound, and so we connect the dots.