Grand ICT Challenge 2020 | UPSC
Grand ICT Challenge under Jal Jeevan Mission receives impressive response
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Science and Technology : Schemes
For PRELIMS take a note on implementation , focus and different stages of this initiative .
For MAINS can you name a few drawbacks of Jal Jeevan Mission ? Let us dive in !
GRAND ICT CHALLENGE 2020
- The ICT grand challenge invites proposal for developing a ‘Smart water supply measurement and monitoring system’.
- The system would collect and facilitate centralised monitoring of data.
- National Jal Jeevan Mission in partnership with Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) had launched an ICT Grand Challenge.
- A total of 213 proposal from various Indian Tech start-ups, MSMEs, Indian Companies, Indian LLPs have been received.
- These proposals will now be scrutinized by a jury committee appointed by MEITY and select the proposals.
- The goal is to create innovative, modular, and cost-effective solution to develop a ‘Smart Water Supply Measurement and Monitoring System’ to be deployed at the village level.
- This kind of technological challenge offers a great opportunity to ensure long-term sustainability of water supply systems in rural areas.
- The pilot will be conducted in 100 villages.
- Jal Jeevan Mission
- Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology
- This grand challenge will harness the vibrant IoT eco-systems of India.
- It will be for creating smart rural water supply eco-system to measure and monitor the service delivery of the water supply in rural areas.
- This challenge will provide opportunity to work for cause of Jal Jeevan Mission.
- It will also assure potable water supply through functional household tap connection to every rural household of the country.
- Digitisation of water supply infrastructure has the potential to solve some of the biggest societal problems facing the nation.
- More importantly, it will help anticipate and address future challenges.
- The successful developers will be given an opportunity to join the MeitY supported incubator for further nurturing of the solution.
- The Indian Tech start-ups, MSMEs, Companies, LLPs registered in India under Companies Act can apply.
- The entity must have 51% or more shareholding with Indian citizen or person of Indian origin.
- However, the 10 teams shortlisted at Ideation Stage will be required to apply for registration as Indian Startups/ Company/ MSMEs/ LLPs.
- Companies are required to submit the proof of having applied at stage of submission of Prototype.
- It will be expected that by the time of selection at the final stage, necessary registration will be completed.
- STAGE–1 (IDEATION TO PROTOTYPE STAGE) : 10 proposals will be shortlisted and provided financial support to the tune of Rs. 7.5 Lakh each to develop a working prototype of the proposed solution within two months duration (max).
- STAGE – 2 (PROTOTYPE TO PRODUCT STAGE) : Best four techno-economically viable prototype shall be selected for product development and each team will receive Rs 25 Lakh to build their solution .
- These four teams shall be provided with financial support by the Jal Jeevan Mission, MeitY and the implementing agency (CDAC) for testing, deployment and demonstration at the live site.
For these field trials, each finalist will be provided the following financial support:
- Towards sourcing and installation of devices/solutions deployment
- Towards logistics and other contingency expenses @10 lakhs each
- This will boost the idea and thrust of intiatives like Atmanirbhar Bharat, Digital India and Make in India.
- Union Government’s flagship programme- Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) is being implemented in partnership with States .
- The programme focuses on service delivery at the household level, i.e. water supply regularly in adequate quantity and of prescribed quality, on long-term basis.
- This necessitates the use of modern technology in systematic monitoring of the programme and deliver data automatically for quality services.
SOURCES: PIB | Grand ICT Challenge 2020 | UPSC