IASbhai Daily Editorial Hunt | 12th Oct 2020
The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. – Confucius
EDITORIAL HUNT #184 :“ How to Distribute COVID-19 Vaccine ? ”
Muhammad Yunus and José Ramos-Horta
How to Distribute COVID-19 Vaccine ?
Muhammad Yunus and José Ramos-Horta are Nobel Peace Laureates
Vaccines with a global common good guarantee
The post-COVID-19 world has to be one that shares the anti-virus therapeutics and the vaccines with the poor
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Health : Disease
An effective vaccine cannot be truly effective and humane until all communities are reached without discrimination. Substantiate -(GS 3)
- Measuring the cost
- Effective Vaccine
- A message for rich
- GRIP OF PANDEMIC : We are in the grip of a historic pandemic ; the novel coronavirus, which causes COVID-19, is threatening the whole of the human family.
- DISEASE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE : COVID-19 does not discriminate. Across the globe, outbreaks of COVID-19 continue to claim thousands of lives.
MEASURES WITH HUGE COSTS
- COST OF STOPPING A PANDEMIC : While effective, the economic, emotional and societal costs of trying to stop the virus through lockdowns and social distancing are enormous and unprecedented.
- ECONOMIES ON HALT : Countries are haemorrhaging cash in efforts to ease the economic standstill created by COVID-19.
- INFLATION BOOM : And as the costs rise, the patience of their populations is waning from fear, uncertainty, and economic collapse.
- EFFECTIVE OPTIONS : Although vaccine development for COVID-19 is proceeding at historic speed, we do not have an effective option as yet.
- PROMISING CANDIDATES : Remarkably , there are many promising candidates already, several of which are entering the essential phase3 clinical trials.
- BLIND RISK : Companies are willing to risk pre-financing production, and governments in turn are already committing billions of dollars towards the purchase of vaccine .
- THERAPEUTICS MEDICINES RACE : Right behind the race for the vaccine is the other race — the one to develop proven therapeutics (medicines) that can ease the burden on those struck by COVID-19.
WHAT AN EFFECTIVE VACCINE IS
- COST FACTOR : Being more cost effective than medicine, vaccines provide a method of prevention.
- EFFECTIVE PROTECTION : They offer protection from infection in the first place, disrupting chains of transmission and saving individuals from hospitalisation or death.
- ECONOMIC RETRIEVAL : It means buying not only health but also enabling economic recovery and freedom itself in many ways.
- INCOME INEQUALITIES : A rich world that is protected, locking out the vast and potentially infectious populations of the poor countries can be seen.
- THERAPEUTICS MEDICINES : Or will it be one that shares the therapeutics and the vaccines with the poor.
- WORTHY LEADERSHIP : We need this sort of leadership — a leadership which will guide us away from incredible profits to humanity’s survival.
- MANUFACTURERS BURDEN : This will also lay stress on the need for the open source production of vaccine without any commercial ownership of any COVID-19 vaccine.
A MESSAGE FOR THE RICH
- ACT OF HUMAN SOLIDARITY : For the rich world ; they must ensure that medicines and vaccines get to the whole human family simultaneously, is really in their own self-interest; not just an act of charity.
- GLOBAL COMMON GOOD : Already, many Nobel Laureates and global personalities have signed on to an Appeal to Declare the COVID 19 Vaccines as a Global Common Good .
- NEED OF THE HOUR : All the countries of the world should unite to pass a resolution at the United Nations to make novel coronavirus vaccines as a product without any commercial ownership.
SOURCES: THE HINDU EDITORIAL HUNT | How to Distribute COVID-19 Vaccine ?