iFLOWS- Mumbai | Flood Warning System | UPSC
Mumbai will soon be able to predict floods before they happen, helping protect property and save lives
WHY IN NEWS:
State-of-the-art Flood Warning System for Mumbai Launched
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Disaster management
For PRELIMS understand the methodology of predicting the floods . It is based on seven modules.
For MAINS more such devices can be inducted with AI for low lying areas as well as for the sorrow of Bihar . How can we implement this ? Suggest more cost effective methods .
- Decision Support System will enable smart decision-making and field action based on risk assessment
- State-of-the-art flood warning system developed by MoES
- The system will also forecast the rainfall in each pocket.
HOW THE PREDICTION SYSTEM WORKS
- The sophisticated system has been developed by the Ministry of Earth Sciences in close collaboration with the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (BMC).
- The prediction system models weather, rainfall, runoff and water movement, tide and storm surge impacts based on which early Flood Warnings.
I-FLOWS COMPRISES SEVEN MODULES:
- DATA ASSIMILATION MODULE : The Data Assimilation Module gathers a variety of dynamic data like weather forecasts and under-water depth of rivers and lakes.
- INUNDATION MODULE : The Inundation Module will use the data to forecast flood inundation 3 days in advance.
- FLOOD MODULE : Flood Module will predict how the water will move across areas expected to be flooded.
- THE VULNERABILITY AND RISK MODULES : This comprise the Decision Support System, enables the administration to take smart decisions.
- DISSEMINATION MODULE : The Dissemination Module makes information available to field officials through various communication channels.
HOW IT CAME ABOUT
- MoES initiated the development of the flood warning system in July 2019 using the expertise of Indian Meteorological Department (IMD)
OTHER PARTICIPANTS :
- National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF), Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) and National Centre for Coastal Research (NCCR), in close coordination with Disaster Management Department of MCGM.
- iFlowsMumbai can be a model for the rest of the country.
- The system will help make the city become more resilient, by providing early warning for flooding especially during high rainfall events and cyclones.
- It will be very useful, especially if people need to be evacuated from low-lying areas as we will be able to forecast 12 hours in advance that a particular spot may get flooded.
SOURCES: PIB | iFLOWS- Mumbai | Flood Warning System | UPSC
Download Poster : Click here