India Climate Change Knowledge Portal | UPSC
Single point information source on Climate Action “India Climate Change Knowledge Portal” launched
WHY IN NEWS:
India has achieved its Pre-2020 Climate Action targets: Shri Prakash Javadekar
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Environment and Ecology : Portal
For PRELIMS we think this portal is very important for UPSC preparation . It gives us information about India’s Climate Profile and so many important reports.
For MAINS do you find NDC confusing ? We researched a little on this portal . It is simplified . Links are given in suggested reading section . Let us dive in !
INDIA CLIMATE CHANGE KNOWLEDGE PORTAL
- This will enabling users to access updated status on climate initiatives.
- Minister informed at the virtual event that India has practically achieved its Pre-2020 Climate Action targets .
- Though historically India is not responsible for emissions.
- India, under the dynamic leadership of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi is leading the world on Climate Action.
GLIMPSE FROM THE PORTAL | SOURCES : cckpindia.nic.in
The eight major components included in the knowledge portal are:
- India’s Climate Profile
- National Policy Framework
- India’s NDC goals
- Adaptation Actions
- Mitigation Actions
- Bilateral and Multilateral Cooperation
- International Climate Negotiations
- Reports & Publications
- India is a Party to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), Paris Agreement and Kyoto Protocol.
- The Climate Change Division looks after the issues related to climate change, including the International negotiations and domestic policies and actions.
CLIMATE CHANGE DIVISION
- Submission of National Communications (NATCOMs) and Biennial Update Reports (BURs) to UNFCCC.
- Coordination of National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC).
- Coordinating preparation, submission and implementation of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) under Paris Agreement
- Studies on National Carbonaceous Aerosols Programme (NCAP), Long Term Ecological Observatories (LTEO) Programme.
- Implementation of National Adaptation Fund on Climate Change (NAFCC) to meet the cost of adaptation measures in areas that are vulnerable to climate change.
- Encouraging the State Governments to prepare their State Action Plan on Climate Change (SAPCC) in line with the strategies outlined in NAPCC.
- International negotiations on climate change.
- The information collected at this portal is at both national and international levels to address climate change issues.
SOURCES: PIB | India Climate Change Knowledge Portal | UPSC