Sixth India International Science Festival | IISF 2020 | UPSC
The 6th India International Science Festival to be held in Virtual format from 22nd to 25th December, 2020
WHY IN NEWS:
It will be a reflection on Indian Science & Technology Innovations for Atmanirbhar Bharat and Global welfare: Dr. Harsh Vardhan
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : 3 : Festivals : Summits : Conference : Science and Technology
For PRELIMS go through aim , significance and partner of this initiative .
For MAINS can you enumerate few steps to develop scientific temper amongst the youth population of India ?
INDIA INTERNATIONAL SCIENCE FESTIVAL 2020
Ministry of Science and Technology and Ministry of Earth Sciences and the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in association with Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA), has created a unique platform of India International Science Festival .
- IISF 2020 will be organized at virtual platform even at a much upscaled level than the earlier ones, this being the new normal.
- This year, CSIR will spearhead the IISF 2020 with support of all other concerned ministries and departments.
- IISF 2020 is an integral part of India’s long term vision in developing the spectrum of scientific temper in India and abroad.
- To engage public with science and celebrate the joy of science .
- One long-term objective is to encourage students to study and work in scientific fields.
- Also, show the ways how Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) provide us with the solutions to improve our lives.
- The festival intends to inspire curiosity and make learning more rewarding.
- The focus on the myriad faces behind some of the fascinating discoveries will inject scientific attitude in the masses and will give us the power to create new possibilities.
The event is being supported by :
- Vigyan Prasar
- All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE)
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and the
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
- IISF is an annual event organised jointly by Ministries and Departments of the Government of India and Vijnana Bharati (Vibha).
- The event is popular with students, innovators, craftsmen, farmers, scientists and technocrats from India and abroad.
- IISF 2020 expects participation of large number of scientist and institutions from India and abroad as well as young people.
- Several events are expected to be lined up on various themes before and during IISF 2020.
- Started in 2015, the India International Science Festival is an annual event held across many cities in the country.
- The first and second IISF were held in New Delhi, the third in Chennai, the fourth in Lucknow, and the fifth IISF was held in Kolkata.
- ALL these IISFs had generated immense response from people within India and from abroad.
- There are a few events that are open to the public and others that need registrations.
WHY SCIENCE FESTIVALS?
- Science festivals are vibrant expression of the cultural importance of science and technology of a nation.
- It gives scientists, inventors and researchers a chance to interact closely with students and citizens from all walks of life.
- This can be through hands-on demonstrations, shows, exhibitions, and workshops; in form of science-related theatre, cafes, music, and stand-up comedy.
- The goal of the science festivals is to engage citizens with science in ways that are inspirational and empowering.
- Science festivals are the inspiring celebrations of the fascinating world of science and technology.
- IISF 2020 will also reflect on the role of Indian Scientists and S& T innovations for not just Atmanirbhar Bharat but global welfare also.
- India International Science Festival (IISF) is a science outreach marathon not a science sprint.
- Let us hope this effort will fuel India’s drive toward becoming Vishwa Guru.
SOURCES: PIB | India International Science Festival 2020