National Fish Farmers Day 2020 | UPSC
National Fish Farmers Day 2020 celebrated .
WHY IN NEWS:
Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Shri Giriraj Singh emphasises on sustainable harnessing of fish resources through technology and best farming practices; highlights the importance of quality seed, feed, species diversification and marketing infrastructure
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Fisheries
For PRELIMS understand the new concept Fish Cryobanks ! Well combine this issue with the scheme and do not forget the scheme PMMSY.
For MAINS can you put down some worthy points on why average fish catch is low compared to USA and China ?
NATIONAL FISH FARMERS DAY 2020
Department of Fisheries in association with National Fisheries Development Board interacts with fishermen, scientists and entrepreneurs through webinar
- Fishermen and fish farmers across the nation participate in the event apart from officials, scientists, professionals, entrepreneurs and stakeholders.
- ‘Quality Seed’ of fish is very important in enhancing production and productivity in the country.
- On the occasion of ‘National Fish Farmers Day’ that NFDB in collaboration with the NBFGR will take up the work to establish “Fish Cryobanks” in different parts of the country,
- This would be the first time in the world when “Fish Cryobank” will be established.
- This can bring a revolutionary change in the fisheries sector in the country for enhancing fish production and productivity and thereby increasing prosperity among the fish farmers.
- NBFGR informed that the “Cryomilt” technology developed by the NBFGR in support with NFDB may be helpful in establishment of “Fish Cryobanks”, which will provide good quality of fish sperms in hatcheries at any time.
- This scheme will address the critical gaps in fish production and productivity, quality, technology, post-harvest infrastructure and management, modernisation
- PMMSY strengthens value chain, traceability and establishes a robust fisheries management framework .
- Sustainable harnessing of fisheries resources through technology infusion and best farming practices while highlighting the importance of quality seed, feed, species diversification, entrepreneurial models and marketing infrastructure with backward and forward linkages.
The ambitious targets under PMMSY and the importance of active cooperation of States/UTs and other stakeholders including private sector in achieving the same.
Blue Revolution and pave the way from NeeliKranti to ArthKranti, under the leadership of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and to realise his vision of doubling the farmer’s income