National Rabi Campaign 2020 | UPSC
Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Shri Narendra Singh Tomar kick starts National Rabi Campaign 2020 for Aatamnirbhar Kheti
WHY IN NEWS:
Shri Tomar congratulates farmers and state governments for record food grain production of 296.65 million tonnes in 2019-2020 under unfavourable conditions imposed by Covid-19
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Agriculture
For PRELIMS you have to be well versed with the trends and upcoming targets . That made us include this campaign .
For MAINS compare the Kharif production with Rabi . Make a table and write down the targets 2021 which are to be achieved. Also make a column for recent initiatives to supplement the same.
NATIONAL RABI CAMPAIGN 2020
- There was a record food grain production of 296.65 million tonnes in 2019-20 under unfavourable conditions imposed by Covid-19.
- Production of cotton is being estimated at 354.91 lakh bales with which India is set to rise to the first position in the world.
- This year has established a milestone in the history of Indian agriculture.
- Kharif sowing during this year up to 11-09-2020 has been 1113 lakh hectares which is 46 lakh hectares more than normal sowing area.
- This provides good opportunity for ensuring food and nutritional security of the country.
- India has three major growing seasons; kharif, rabi and zaid.
- Rabi is important cropping season contributing to more than half of crop productions.
- This ensure timely availability of seed, fertilizers and other inputs.
- This time good rainfall has occurred and water reservoirs are full which offers good opportunity.
- Government of India has set the target of covering 100 lakh hectares in five years under micro-irrigation.
- It is financed by National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) for expanding coverage of micro irrigation.
- In the year 2019-20, about 11 lakh farmers have benefitted by the adoption of drip and sprinkler irrigation system.
- During the last five years, an area of 47.92 lakh hectare has been covered under micro irrigation in the country.
NATIONAL CONFERENCE ON RABI CAMPAIGN 2020
- The conference set a target of 301 million tonnes of food grains production for 2020-21.
- The targets have been set at 25.60 million tonnes for pulses and 37.00 million tonnes for oilseeds.
- To reduce import of edible oils, great emphasis is being laid on production of oilseeds and oil palm plantation indigenously.
INITIATIVES FOR PULSES AND OILSEEDS
- Seed hubs : Pulses(150), Oilseeds(35), Nutri-cereals(25)
- Breeder Seed production by ICAR / SAUs
- Minikit of new varieties
- Alternate crop plan in WB: Pulses & Oilseeds
- Targetting Rice Fallow Area(TFRA): Pulses, Oilseeds (1.8 mil. Ha)
- Oil Palm : Additional area 25,000 ha – 2019-20
- Special procurement Scheme “Pradhan Mantri Annadata Aay Sanrakshan Abhiyan” (PM-AASHA).
ONE DISTRICT ONE FOCUS PRODUCT (ODOP)
- Around 100 districts have GI Tag Crops identified Budget announcement of 2020-21.
- Horticulture, Organic and APEDA clusters will be formed .
- There would be no separate funding for ODOP.
- Priority of selected crops and districts would be given for funding in schemes related to FPOs, marketing etc.
- Recently Agricultural Infrastructure Fund (AIF) scheme worth Rs 1 lakh crore for 4 years has been launched.
- This will creating facilities for cold storage, warehouse, packaging, ripening & waxing plants by agri-entrepreneurs.
- A 3% interest subvention will be given on bank interest, making loan with effective interest rate in the range of 5.0 to 5.5%.
- Formation of 10,000 Farmers Producer Organisations (FPOs) is another such step to organize farmers in aggregation and marketing for higher returns.
- These will be registered under company or cooperative act and 15% will be constituted in Aspirational and Notified Tribal Areas.
- Farming community and State Governments deserve special appreciation for this commendable achievement.
- The Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion & Facilitation) Bill 2020 will give a boost to farmers engaged in agriculture and allied activities.
- Government will continue the practice of procurement at minimum support price (MSP) through existing network.
RABI PREPAREDNESS WILL INCLUDE
- Timely arrangement of inputs.
- Coordination meeting with line departments (credit, power, irrigation)
- Preparation for timely crop insurance cover
- Weekly video conferencing for reviewing crop situation, input availability and follow up
- Mobilizing extension staff for field deployment
- Convergence with ATMA and other central schemes.
- Motivating farmers, capacity building: DD Kisan, mela, goshthi,training
- Implementation & monitoring
- Close monitoring of flow of funds to ensure timely reach
- Technical backstopping for cluster demonstration, capacity building.