Nature Index 2020 | UPSC
3 DST institutes among top 30 Indian Institutions in Nature Index 2020
WHY IN NEWS:
Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS), Kolkata is at 7th position, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bangalore at 14th position and S. N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata at 30th position
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Education : Science and Technology : Reports
For PRELIMS numbers here are least important . Just remember top spots if you can !
For MAINS you can give examples of such institutions and the name of this report too . Such examples will surely fetch extra marks .
- While the research carried out in the academia and research labs has shown good quantitative enhancement, the need for a greater emphasis on quality, relevance, and translational aspects is now being understood as acted upon,” .
TOP 10 INSTITUTIONS OF THE WORLD :
- Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), China
- Harvard University, United States of America (USA)
- Max Planck Society, Germany
- French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS), France
- Stanford University, United States of America (USA)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), United States of America (USA)
- Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres, Germany
- University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), China
- University of Oxford, United Kingdom (UK)
- Peking University (PKU), China
WHAT IS THE NATURE INDEX?
- The database is compiled by Nature Research.
- The Nature Index is updated monthly, and a 12-month rolling window (1 April 2019 – 31 March 2020) of data is openly available at www.natureindex.com under a Creative Commons non-commercial license.
- The Nature Index also releases annual tables of country– and institution-level calendar-year output back to 2015.
“It is extremely heartening that the DST’s hot spots of knowledge are consistently rated in the top institutions of the country in the quality of research as judged by the papers published in the selected top-quality journals.
SOURCES:PIB | Nature Index 2020 | UPSC
DISCOVER MORE : Important Reports