Navigation Bill 2020 | UPSC
Shipping Ministry issues draft “Aids to Navigation Bill 2020” for public consultation
WHY IN NEWS:
Legislation aims to replace over 90 year old Lighthouse Act,1927
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 2 : 3: Shipping : Technology : Bills : Recent Developments
For PRELIMS it is important to understand the office of Directorate general of lighthouses and lightships .
For MAINS look out for modern technological interventions globally .
NEED OF AMENDMENT
- The draft bill is proposed to replace the almost nine decades old Lighthouse Act, 1927.
- The bill is to incorporate the global best practices, technological developments and India’s International obligations in the field of Aids to Marine Navigation.
- This initiative is part of the proactive approach adopted by the Ministry of Shipping.
- The draft bill will be repealing archaic colonial laws and replacing it with modern and contemporary needs of the maritime industry.
- The draft bill provides for empowering Directorate General of Lighthouses and Lightships (DGLL) with additional power and functions such as Vessel Traffic Service, Wreck flagging, training and certification, implementation of other obligations under International Conventions, where India is a signatory.
DIRECTORATE GENERAL OF LIGHTHOUSES AND LIGHTSHIPS
To help the mariners and local fisherman to navigate safely in the Indian waters.
The Directorate General of Lighthouses and Lightships is a subordinate office under the Ministry of Shipping.
- The Headquarters of the Directorate is at Noida.(U.P.)
- For administrative control the entire coastline has been divided into Nine Districts having their regional headquarters at Gandhidham, Jamnagar, Mumbai, Goa, Cochin, Chennai, Visakhapatnam , Kolkata and Port Blair.
Provide safe and secure navigation in the Indian waters.
- For the safe voyage in Indian waters, the Directorate has provided aids to marine navigation.
- They can be categorized as visual and radio Aids.
- The radio aids are DGPS, RACONs etc.
- All these aids are passive in nature and not user interactive.
- The Directorate has entered into the interactive field of Aids to Navigation i.e. Vessel Traffic Service.
- For the control of jurisdiction the aids to marine navigation are categorized as General Aids and Local Aids.
- The upkeep and maintenance of local aids is the responsibility of various Maritime State Government organizations like Ports, State Maritime Boards etc.
Suggestions from the public and stakeholders will strengthen the provisions of the legislation. Team IASbhai requests you to provide your valuable feedback .