“One nation , one digital platform” and “one class one channel”
Union Finance Minister announces several initiatives to boost Education Sector
WHY IN NEWS:
Investing in human capital is an investment in productivity and prosperity of the nation – Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Education
For PRELIMS it is important to understand the initiatives of various online portals and the objective of each .
For MAINS do you think one platform for all can suffice aspirations of 25 crore school children ?
WHY “ONE NATION , ONE DIGITAL PLATFORM” AND “ONE CLASS ONE CHANNEL” ?
- The education sector has taken this opportunity to plan several interventions, particularly in the area of adopting innovative curriculum and pedagogies, concentrating energies on the gap areas, being more inclusive and integrating technology at every stage, to usher in a new era of focussed investment in the human capital.
INITIATIVES IN THIS DIRECTION INCLUDES:
A comprehensive initiative called PM e-VIDYA will be launched which unifies all efforts related to digital/online/on-air education.
- DIKSHA is a customizable platform which is currently being used by teachers (from both government and private institutions) across the nation for all the standards to help the students learn several concepts.
- The portal is accessible in many languages for easy interface of the user.
SWAYAM online courses in MOOCS format for school and higher education.
- IITPAL is an online learning platform created to help students preparing for JEE Mains and JEE Advanced.
- IITPAL creates super engaging courses for K-12 science students.
- IIT PAL ensures a total success approach.
- The Central Board of Secondary Education launched a podcast app ‘Shiksha Vani’ to broadcast vital information to students and parents promptly.
- The Shiksha Vani is initiated to keep the students, parents and teachers updated about the latest news and events of the CBSE.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF SHIKSHA VANI PODCAST ?
- To give out uniform directions to all its affiliated CBSE schools.
- Helps in spreading information during relevant events such as evaluation of exam answer sheet, declaration of result etc.
- For broadcasting official information .
- Podcasts are less time consuming and extremely engaging as compared to written information.
This will benefit nearly 25 crore school going children across the country.
- In this time of global pandemic, it is vital that we provide psychosocial support to students, teachers and families for mental health and emotional wellbeing.
- This initiative will benefit all school going children in the country, along with their parents, teachers and the community of stakeholders in school education.
NATIONAL CURRICULUM AND PEDAGOGICAL FRAMEWORK
- There is a need to promote critical thinking, creative and communication skills, along with experiential and joyful learning for the students focussing on learning outcomes.
- The curriculum must be rooted in the Indian ethos and integrated with global skill requirements.
- Therefore, it has been decided to prepare a new National Curriculum and Pedagogical Framework for school education, teacher education and early childhood stage to prepare students and future teachers as per global benchmarks.
A NATIONAL FOUNDATIONAL LITERACY AND NUMERACY MISSION
- For this, teacher capacity building, a robust curricular framework, engaging learning material – both online and offline, learning outcomes and their measurement indices, assessment techniques, tracking of learning progress, etc. will be designed to take it forward in a systematic fashion.
- This mission will cover the learning needs of nearly 4 crore children in the age group of 3 to 11 years.
- Government is expanding e-learning in higher education – by liberalizing open, distance and online education regulatory framework.
- Top 100 universities will start online courses.
- Online component in conventional Universities and ODL programmes will also be raised from present 20% to 40%.
- This will provide enhanced learning opportunities to nearly 7 crore students across different colleges and Universities.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB/DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS for UPSC CSE Prelims & Mains
DISCOVER MORE : Important GS Paper 3 Issues