MNRE issues advisory against fraudulent websites for registration under PM-KUSUM Scheme
WHY IN NEWS:
Ministry of New &Renewable Energy ( MNRE) has recently noticed that few new websites have cropped up as registration portal for Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan (PM-KUSUM) Scheme.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Scheme:PM-KUSUM Scheme
For PRELIMS understand the aim and objective of this scheme ! Remember the beneficiaries and the ministries involved .
For MAINS this scheme creates a level playing field for farmers,DISCOMS,state electricity boards and various players . Take a note on transmission losses .
PRADHAN MANTRI KISAN URJA SURAKSHA EVEM UTTHAN MAHABHIYAN (PM KUSUM):
Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) has launched the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha evem Utthan Mahabhiyan (PM KUSUM) Scheme for farmers for installation of solar pumps and grid connected solar and other renewable power plants in the country.
The scheme aims to add solar and other renewable capacity of 25,750 MW by 2022 with total central financial support of Rs. 34,422 Crore including service charges to the implementing agencies Scheme Component.
THE SCHEME CONSISTS OF THREE COMPONENTS:
- Component A: 10,000 MW of Decentralized Ground Mounted Grid Connected Renewable Power Plants of individual plant size up to 2 MW.
- Component B: Installation of 17.50 lakh standalone Solar Powered Agriculture Pumps of individual pump capacity up to 7.5 HP.
- Component C: Solarisation of 10 Lakh Grid-connected Agriculture Pumps of individual pump capacity up to 7.5 HP.
- State Nodal Agencies(SNAs) of MNRE will coordinate with States/UTs, Discoms and farmers for implementation of the scheme.
- Components A and C of the Scheme was to be implemented in Pilot mode till 31st December 2019.
- The Component B, which is a ongoing sub-programme, will be implemented in entirety without going through pilot mode.
SCHEME BENEFITS :
- Cultivated fields are chosen for setting up solar power project, the farmers could continue to grow crops as the solar panels are to be set up above a minimum height.
- Scheme would ensure that sufficient local solar/ other renewable energy based power is available for feeding rural load centres and agriculture pump-set loads, which require power mostly during the day time.
- As these power plants will be located closer to the agriculture loads or to electrical substations in a decentralized manner, it will result in reduced Transmission losses for STUs and Discoms.
- The solar pumps will save the expenditure incurred on diesel for running diesel pump and provide the farmers a reliable source of irrigation through solar pump apart from preventing harmful pollution from running diesel pump.
The scheme is creates a win-win playing field for both farmers and DISCOM/states/UT.
This scheme will benefit 17.5 lakh farmers over a period of four years, without adding to the grid load.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB/PM-KUSUM Scheme
DISCOVER MORE : Important Schemes for UPSC