Prerak Dauur Samman | UPSC
‘PRERAK DAUUR SAMMAN’ new category of awards introduced
WHY IN NEWS:
- Segregation of waste into wet, dry & hazard categories, c&d waste processing, sanitation status of cities etc to be the performance criteria
- Integrated Sbm-Urban Mis Portal Launched
- Lighthouse Cities Of Navi Mumbai, Surat, Khargone And Karad Showcased Source Segregation Models
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : 3 : Urbanisation : Sanitation
For PRELIMS the toolkit for the competition among the cities has launched . It is quite important for examination perspective .
For MAINS take down important key takeaway point from the toolkit . Go through the timeline too .
A new category of awards titled ‘Prerak Dauur Samman’ as part of Swachh Survekshan 2021 will be introduced.
PRERAK DAUUR SAMMAN
The Prerak Dauur Samman has a total of five additional sub- categories
- Divya (Platinum)
- Anupam (Gold)
- Ujjwal (Silver)
- Udit (Bronze)
- Aarohi (Aspiring) – with top three cities being recognized in each.
- Segregation of waste into Wet, Dry and Hazard categories
- Processing capacity against wet waste generated
- Processing and recycling of wet and dry waste
- Construction & Demolition (C&D) waste processing
- Percentage of waste going to landfills
- Sanitation status of cities
SBM-URBAN MIS PORTAL
- The launch of the integrated MIS portal is an effort by the Ministry to bring the numerous digital initiatives on a single platform.
- Thus , ensuring a unified and hassle-free experience for States and cities and leading the way towards the creation of not just a Swachh but a truly digital India.
SWACHH SURVEKSHAN 2020
- Swachh Survekshan has become a tool for citizen engagement in the spirit of a true ‘Jan Andolan’.
- 2016 : As a prelude to encouraging cities to improve urban sanitation, MoHUA had conducted Swachh Survekshan 2016 survey for the rating of 73 cities in January 2016,
- 2017 : Swachh Survekshan 2017 conducted in January-February 2017 ranking 434 cities.
- 2018 : Swachh Survekshan 2018, which became the world’s largest cleanliness survey, ranked 4203 cities .
- 2019 : Swachh Survekshan 2019 which not only covered 4237 cities but was also the first of its kind completely digital survey completed in a record time of 28 days.
SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT
- ODF ++ : 4324 Urban ULBs have been declared ODF (4204 certified ODF), 1306 cities certified ODF+ and 489 cities certified ODF++.
- ACCESS TO TOILETS : Moreover, 66 lakhs individual household toilets and over 6 lakhs community/ public toilets have been constructed/ or are under construction.
- GOOGLE MAP : Additionally, over 59,900 toilets across 2900+ cities have been made live on Google Maps.
- GARBAGE FREE CITIES : A total of six cities have been certified as 5 Star, 86 as 3 star and 64 as 1 star under the Star Rating Protocol for Garbage Free Cities.
- “Every year, the Swachh Survekshan is redesigned innovatively, to ensure that the process becomes more robust, with focus on sustaining the behaviour change.
- The results for Swachh Survekshan 2020 will be announced shortly by the Ministry.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB/DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS for UPSC CSE Prelims & Mains