Raagotsav II | UPSC
Raagotsav II to pay tribute to Pt Jasraj and other Masters of music
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : MUSIC
For PRELIMS focus on gharanas , patrons and the aim of this festival .
For MAINS nothing much here.
- It offers a veritable musical journey through the life.
- The festival promotes the works of prominent masters of famous gharanas and traditions of Indian Classical music -their performing styles and profound impact and valuable contribution to the vocal classical music.
- Dedicated to the memory of Pt Jasraj, the doyen of Hindustani Music who departed on 17th August, 2020.
- The package also includes well-researched documentaries on the nuances of classical music and its distinct styles and traditions.
This online festival will continue till 28th Aug, 2020.
THE EVENTS LINE UP
The beginning of ‘RAAGOTSAV-II’ happened with ‘Sangeet Martand – Pt. Jasraj’.
- Among the prominent vocalists of Mewati gharana and follower of egalitarian philosophy, Pt Jasraj introduced a perfect blend of devotional music with traditional classical style.
- His total submission to God and Music and his thought process behind introducing new format of jugalbandi, has been potrayed in the biopic, Jasrangi .
- The documentary ‘Khayal’ helps us to understand the characteristics of various gharanas or schools such as the Jaipur, Gwalior, Mewati and Kirana gharana and contributions made by their leading exponents to Khayal Gayaki.
- Film ‘Amir Khan‘portrays the life and works of Ustad Amir Khan, founder of the Indore Gharana, known for his intellectual approach to music .
- ‘M S Subbulakshmi‘ is a comprehensive biopic on Bharat Ratna, M S Subbulakshmi.
- It depicts her illustrious journey and immense contribution to the ancient and glorious tradition of Carnatic music.
- Especially her bhajans with extra ordinary bhakti bhavana that moved great personalities including Mahatma Gandhi to tears.
- ‘Semmangudi Sreenivasa Iyer’ is a brief biopic on artist’s extraordinary skill of producing soulful music in a traditional temperament.
- ‘Pt. Bhimsen Joshi’ is a biographical film that takes us to the maestro’s enthralling concerts, analyses his passion for different ragas and attempts to uncover the man behind the music icon.
- Another exponent of Kirana Gharana and known for her deep and powerful voice, Gangubai Hangal was a disciple of great maestro Sawai Gandharwa.
- Documentry ‘Girija Devi’ peeps into the life and works of an eminent classical singer, an exponent of the Seniya and Banaras Gharanas.
- She was credited with elevating the profile of Thumri Gayaki and her repertoire included the semi-classical genres like kajri, chaiti, hori and many more.
WORLD OF CLASSICAL MUSIC
- ‘Dhrupad’ as the name suggests is on ‘Dhrupad Raag‘.
- This film helps us to understand the nuances as well as reasons for the popularity of Dhrupad among music lovers.
- The world of classical music has a special affection for Tarana bandish.
- Through ‘Tarana‘, one gets to know the characteristics of this popular bandish .
- ‘Khayalnuma‘ is a variant of the Tarana that is also presented in this film.
- ‘Siddheswari’ is a work of experimentation, dedicated to the life and musical journey of legendary Hindustani singer, Siddheswari Devi.
- This film underlines her invaluable contribution to the world of light classical music.
Raagotsav attempts to not only showcase the best classical music talents India has produced over centuries but also to rekindle and re-invent the spirit of pure music for ‘rasikas’ in India and across the globe.