Scheme for Affordable Rental Housing Complexes (ARHCs) | UPSC
Scheme for Affordable Rental Housing Complexes (ARHCs)
WHY IN NEWS:
2.95 Lakh Beneficiaries Envisaged to be Benefitted, Initially
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Scheme : Infrastructure
For PRELIMS remember the aim , features and the implementation strategy of this scheme . This scheme is important . UPSC is fond of Sub- Schemes !
For MAINS we will cover this in upcoming Editorial Hunts . Let us dive in !
SCHEME FOR AFFORDABLE RENTAL HOUSING COMPLEXES (ARHCS)
- Scheme for Affordable Rental Housing Complexes (ARHCs), a sub-scheme under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban (PMAY-U).
- ARHCs means a listed project with a mix of at-least 40 Dwelling Units (DUs) and Dormitories along with basic civic infrastructure facilities.
- It has been launched on 31.07.2020 after approval of the Union Cabinet.
- Large scale reverse migration of urban migrants/ poor due to COVID-19.
- Non availability of housing close to workplace adversely impacts productivity.
- Requirement of affordable rental housing rather than ownership.
- An estimated amount of Rs. 600 crore has been envisaged as total outlay of the Scheme till the Mission period of PMAY-U i.e. March 2022.
- Address the vision of ‘AatmaNirbhar Bharat’ by creating affordable rental housing for urban migrants/ poor
- Create conducive ecosystem for Public/ Private Entities to leverage investment in rental housing
- Project proposals under ARHCs will be considered upto March 2022.
- Beneficiaries for ARHCs will be urban migrants/poor ,labour, street vendors, rickshaw pullers and other service providers.
- Also industrial workers along with migrants working with market/trade associations, educational/health institutions, students or any other persons of such categories.
- To be implemented in all Statutory Towns, Notified Planning Areas .
- ARHCs can be a mix of Single/Double bedroom DUs with living area, kitchen, toilet and bathroom and Dormitory Bed with common kitchen, toilet and bathroom.
- A maximum of 33% houses with double room permissible in a project.
- Institutional Rental Mechanism: In-block renting for smooth implementation and sustained income
- Two-pronged strategy for implementation (Two Models)
TWO-PRONGED IMPLEMENTATION STRATEGY
- Utilizing existing Government funded vacant houses to convert into ARHCs through Public Private Partnership (PPP) or by Public Agencies
- Construction, Operation and Maintenance of ARHCs by Public/ Private Entities on their own available vacant land.
- A draft Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) has been circulated to all States/UTs to sign with MoHUA.
- A model Request for Proposal (RFP) has been shared with States/UTs for selection of Concessionaire .
- Through Model-1, approximately 75,000 existing Government funded vacant housing complexes in various cities are targeted to be converted into ARHCs.
- In Model-2, new construction of 40,000 single/double bedroom houses and 1,80,000 dormitory beds are targeted to be operationalized using innovative and alternate technologies.
- Houses will be under Repair/Retrofit, Develop, Operate and Transfer (RDOT) on Public Private Partnership (PPP) Mode.
- Expression of Interest (EoI) has been prepared for shortlisting of Public/Private Entities for construction of ARHCs on their own vacant land.
- A sustained and focused Information Education and Communication (IEC) strategy for outreach and off take of ARHCs has been prepared.
- Decent living environment close to workplaces at affordable rates.
- Sustained supply of workforce and increased productivity for Industries and Manufacturing units.
- Opportunity to convert existing Government funded vacant houses into ARHCs for economically productive use.
- Propel new investment opportunities and promote entrepreneurship in rental housing sector by creating new job opportunities.
- Strengthening of Municipal Finances at ULB level.
- Prevent further proliferation of slums.