States Start-Up Ranking 2019 Report | UPSC
Declaration of Results of Ranking of States: 2019, on support to Startup Ecosystems
WHY IN NEWS:
The Results of the second edition of Ranking of States on Support to Startup Ecosystems were released by Minister of Commerce & Industry .
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Reports and Indices
For PRELIMS go through the important parameters on which the report is being calculated . Do not forget the ministry . Numbers in the report are not important !
For MAINS what measures are to be taken with states with less or no start up facilities ?
STATES START-UP RANKING 2019 REPORT
- Funding asserts its importance for operative processes, research, development and multiple other primary business features for evolving businesses.
- However, it is the foremost consideration when contemplating growth and development of startups.
- Funding can be derived from diverse sources, it can help sustain the existing projects and enable expansion.
States Start-Up Ranking 2019 Report
- It has been implemented as a capacity development exercise to encourage mutual learning among all states and to provide support in policy formulation and implementation.
- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) has published this report.
- This is second edition of the States’ Startup Ranking Exercise.
- The States’ Startup Ranking Framework 2019 has 7 broad reform area, consisting of 30 action points .
7 REFORM AREAS ARE
- Institutional Support
- Easing Compliances
- Relaxation in Public Procurement norms
- Incubation support
- Seed Funding Support
- Venture Funding Support
- Awareness & Outreach.
- To establish uniformity and ensure standardization in the ranking process, States and UTs have been divided into two groups.
- While UTs except Delhi and all States in North East India except Assam are placed in Category ‘Y’.
- All other States and UT of Delhi are in Category ‘X’.
- Evaluation Committees comprising independent experts carried out a detailed assessment of responses across various parameters.
- Many parameters involved getting feedback from beneficiaries which was gathered through more than 60,000 calls made in 11 different languages .
- For the purposes of Ranking, States are classified into 5 Categories: Best Performers, Top Performers, Leaders, Aspiring Leaders and Emerging Startup Ecosystems.
- The felicitation ceremony was accompanied by the release of a National Report which highlights the vision, trajectory, methodology and the future roadmap of the States Ranking Exercise.
- A State Specific Report for each of the 25 participating entities has also been released, containing a comprehensive analysis of respective ecosystem, which highlights strengths and priority areas for future.
- A ‘Compendium of Good Practices’ adopted by various States in supporting startups has also been released.
- It identifies 166 good practices, which may be directly used by States to identify and implement newer initiatives.