Transport Initiative for Asia (TIA) | UPSC
NITI Aayog to Launch Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC)–Transport Initiative for Asia(TIA) India Component tomorrow, 27th August
WHY IN NEWS:
NDC-TIA India Component to focus on establishing a multi-stakeholder dialogue platform for decarbonizing transport in India
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Transport
For PRELIMS go through the timeline , aim , key areas of focus and the significance of the initiative .
For MAINS do you think NDC targets will be delayed due the pandemic ? What are the consequences of derailment ?
TRANSPORT INITIATIVE FOR ASIA
- It will also offer the opportunity to provide input about India’s transport challenges and how they relate to CO2 reduction ambitions.
- The discussion will help focus the programme further on India’s specific needs and circumstances.
NDC–TIA is a joint programme, supported by the International Climate Initiative (IKI) of the German Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) and implemented by a consortium of seven organisations, namely:
1. Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
2. International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT)
3. World Resources Institute (WRI)
4. International Transport Forum (ITF)
5. Agora Verkehrswende (AGORA)
6. Partnership on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport (SLoCaT) Foundation
7. Renewable Energy Policy Network for the 21st Century e.V. (REN21)
The India Component is implemented by six consortium organisations, all except SLoCaT.
On behalf of the Government of India, NITI Aayog, the country’s premier policy think tank, will be the implementing partner.
- This will allow to achieve accountable long-term targets by making a sectoral contribution through various interventions.
- This will contribute towards achieving their NDCs and increasing their ambition in the transport sector of 2025 NDCs.
- India has a massive and diverse transport sector that caters to the needs of billion people.
- With increasing urbanisation, the fleet size i.e. the number of sales of vehicles is increasing rapidly.
- It is projected that the total number of vehicles will be doubled by 2030.
KEY FOCUS AREAS
The NDC–TIA India Component will focus on :
- Establishing a multi-stakeholder dialogue platform for decarbonizing transport in India,
- Strengthening GHG and transport modelling capacities
- Providing technical support on GHG emission reduction measures
- Financing climate actions in transport
- Evaluating business models through cost-benefit analyses and so forth
- A significant focus will be given on electric mobility, which would require coupling of transport .
Also, energy sectors , international development agencies, think tanks, public and private organisations will be focused.
- Successful implementation of these activities requires the political will and interest of political partners .
- Ultimately, the programme intends to support the development of policies and regulations to promote electric vehicle charging infrastructure uptake in India.
The NDC–TIA programme team will work in close cooperation and coordination with India’s government agencies, local decision-makers, researchers, industry experts, think tanks, and civil society organisations.