TRIFED | Tribes India | UPSC
Shri Arjun Munda launches Tribes India products on Gem and new website of TRIFED through video conference
WHY IN NEWS:
Webinar-Be Vocal for Local and Go digital-TRIFED embarks on a massive digitisation drive to connect Tribals with mainstream held
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : 3: TRIBE : Minor forest produce
For PRELIMS go through aim , objective and the approach of TRIFED. Aligned to the same are some scheme which we have already covered.
For MAINS sustainable livelihood for tribals is the mantra ! Do you have other approaches ? Scribe them in you mains answer book . Let us dive in !
- TRIFED was established in August 1987 under the Multi-State Cooperative Societies Act, 1984 by the Government of India as a National level Cooperative body.
- Under the administrative control of the then Ministry of Welfare of India.
- TRIFED is mandated to ringing about socio-economic development of tribals of the country.
- TRIFED plays the dual role of both a market developer and a service provider.
- TRIFED is involved actively in capacity building of the tribal people through sensitisation and the formation of Self Help Groups (SHGs).
- The organisation also assists them in developing products for national and international markets on a sustainable basis.
- TRIBES India is the brand under which the sourced handcrafted products from the tribal people are sold.
- There are 120 TRIBES India outlets across the country, making it a sustainable and reliable brand.
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs
- Central Government Ministries
- State Governments
- Promote sustainable livelihood systems for tribal people by marketing development and ensuring remunerative price for their products.
- Provide minimum support price and value addition of Non-Timber Forest Produce (Minor Forest Produce).
- Empower them through meticulous capacity building.
- Augment their resources substantially.
- Develop marketing partnership with Central/State Government agencies.
- It involves capacity building of the tribal people through sensitization.
- Formation of Self Help Groups (SHGs) and imparting training.
- Exploring marketing possibilities in national as well as international markets.
- Creating opportunities for marketing tribal products on a sustainable basis.
- Creating a brand and providing other services.
TRIFED undertakes activities with respect to its two main divisions viz.
- Minor Forest Produce (MFP) development
- Retail Marketing and Development
a)MINOR FOREST PRODUCE (MFP) DEVELOPMENT
- An important source of livelihood for tribal people are non-wood forest products, generally termed Minor Forest Produce (MFP).
- The Minor Forest Produces provide both subsistence and cash income for people who live in or near forests.
- They form a major portion of their food, fruits, medicines and other consumption items and also provide cash income through sales.
b)RETAIL MARKETING AND DEVELOPMENT
- TRIFED aims to improve the livelihood of the tribal communities by creating a sustainable market for tribal people.
- It has been undertaking sourcing of various handicraft, handloom and natural & food products through TRIFED .
- It has established a chain of 35 own showrooms and 8 consignment showrooms in association with State level Organisations promoting tribal handicrafts.
EMPANELMENT OF TRIBAL PRODUCER/TRIBAL ARTISANS
- Approaching district Collectors /ITDA and district level officers who work with tribal artisans.
- Contacting craft persons.
- Artisans who have been trained by TRIFED and other organisations.
- Field visits and organising of Tribal Artisan Melas (TAMs) .
VANDHAN VIKAS KARYAKRAM
- The collection and sale of MFPs contribute to roughly 40% to 60% of the annual earnings of the tribal people, women in particular.
- Women in tribal areas are the ones who primarily collect, process, use and sell the minor forest produces.
- The Scheduled Areas and Scheduled Tribes Commission appointed by the President of India on 28 April 1960 pursuant to Article 339 of the Constitution of India.
- In its report of 14 October 1961 stated that “As these groups are presumed to form the oldest ethnological sector of the population, the term “Adivasi” (‘Adi’= original and ‘Vasi’= inhabitant) has become current among certain people.
- The Government of India has initiated a number of steps to develop socio economic conditions of tribal population in the country.
- One of those initiatives led to the formation of Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Limited (TRIFED).
- TRIFED has its Head Office located in New Delhi and has a network of 15 Regional Offices located at various places in the country.
A GLANCE AT THE MARKETPLACE
“Trifed Warriors”will take Tribal Commerce based on forest produces, handlooms & handicrafts to a new high for transforming tribal lives and livelihoods.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB | TRIFED | Tribes India | UPSC