Visvesvaraya PhD Scheme for Electronics & IT | UPSC
Visvesvaraya PhD Scheme for Electronics & IT
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Scheme
For PRELIMS go through the aim and funding structure of the scheme.
For MAINS do you think research and development ecosystem in India is fostering at a snail pace ?
VISVESVARAYA PHD SCHEME FOR ELECTRONICS AND IT
- Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology initiated “Visvesvaraya PhD Scheme for Electronics and IT” .
- To enhance the number of PhDs in Electronics System Design & Manufacturing (ESDM) and IT/IT Enabled Services (IT/ITES) sectors in the country.
- National Policy on Electronics (NPE 2012) and National Policy on Information Technology (NPIT 2012) also recommended- increasing the number of PhDs in the country to enable India to compete globally in the coming decades.
- To develop an ecosystem of research, development and IP creation in these knowledge intensive sectors.
- To Support 1500 PhD Candidates including both Full-Time (500) and Part-Time (1000) in each of ESDM and IT/ITES sectors (Total: 3000 PhDs).
- Digital India Corporation would be responsible for providing implementation support to the scheme.
- This Scheme provides 25% more fellowship amount than most of the other PhD Schemes.
- Part-time PhD candidates get one time incentive on completion of the PhD.
- Scheme also supports 200 Young Faculty Research Fellowships in the areas of ESDM and IT/ITES with the objective to retain and attract bright young faculty members in these sectors.
- The duration of scheme is five years for the purpose of selecting candidates for support under the scheme.
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved the scheme in 2014 for a period of nine years with a total estimated cost of ₹ 466 crores (Rupees Four Hundred Sixty Six Crores Only)
FULL TIME PHD CANDIDATES
- Fellowship : ₹ 31,500 p.m.(revised as ₹ 38,750/- pm w.e.f. 1-4-2019) (I & II yr); ₹ 35,000 (revised as ₹ 43,750/- pm w.e.f. 1-4-2019)(III to V yr).
- Annual Contingency Grant support ₹ 30,000/- per year for consumables etc.
- Reimbursement of Rent for those PhD candidates who are not provided accommodation or choose not to avail the accommodation provided by the institution.
- Any individual full-time PhD candidate would be eligible to avail the support for attending a maximum of 2 conferences under this scheme.
- Scheme also provides infrastructural grant of ₹ 5,00,000/- per candidate to the academic institutions for creation/ up-gradation of laboratories.
PART-TIME PHD CANDIDATE
- One time incentive of ₹ 2,50,000/- on successful completion of the PhD.
YOUNG FACULTY RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP
- Research/Contingency Grant of ₹ 5,00,000/- per year for research expenses and presenting research work, to be granted for a period of up to 5 years.
- The scheme is also expected to encourage working professionals and non-PhD faculty members to pursue PhD.