World Rainforest Day | UPSC
World Rainforest Day
WHY IN NEWS:
Goliath frog population is estimated to have halved in the last 15 years
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Conservation of Biodiversity : Flora and Fauna : Environment and Ecology :IUCN
For PRELIMS look out for the significance of this day and also organizers .
For MAINS follow the approach . You will find some key points for afforestation and community guidelines .
WHY WORLD RAINFOREST DAY?
- Rainforests are vital for the survival of life on Earth.
- We depend on the Amazon rainforest alone for 20% of the oxygen we breathe and the freshwater we drink.
- They absorb our carbon dioxide, stabilize climate patterns, and are home to half the world’s plant and animal species.
- Deforestation causes 15% of global carbon dioxide emissions that accelerate climate change—more than from all cars in the U.S. and China combined.
- Natural climate solutions like protecting and restoring forests, however, could reverse global emissions by a third.
It is as a collaborative effort to raise awareness and encourage action to protect the world’s rainforests.
THE APPROACH :
- Community Engagement & Empowerment : Empowering local and indigenous communities to be forest guardians through conservation education, training, and capacity building.
- Sustainable Livelihoods : Building sustainable economies that rely on healthy forests for success.
- Conservation Science: Producing scientific research to support the creation of protected areas and actions for endangered species.
- Biodiversity Conservation & Forest Regeneration : Restoring rainforests to preserve wildlife and mitigate climate change.
- Conservation Management & Governance : Establishing protected areas, securing community land rights, creating conservation policies, building the capacity of local decision-makers.
- World Rainforest Day is an opportunity to celebrate this precious natural resource each year and take action to preserve it.
- Together we can create a positive impact on rainforests for years to come.
SOURCES:DownToEarth | World Rainforest Day | UPSC