World Sickle Cell Day 2020 | UPSC
World Sickle Cell Day 2020 aims to increase awareness over sickle cell disorders
WHY IN NEWS:
It is recognised by the United Nations and celebrated every year on June 19
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Health:Diseases:UN Celebrations
For PRELIMS it is important to understand the causes, symptoms and the available treatment for this disease.
For MAINS nothing much here !
WORLD SICKLE CELL DAY
- World Sickle Cell Day — recognised by the United Nations and celebrated every year on June 19.
- The United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution recognising sickle cell disease as a public health problem on December 22, 2008.
It aims to increase awareness of sickle cell disorders at the national and international level.
SICKLE CELL DISEASES
- Sickle cell disorders are a group of illnesses that affect red blood cells.
- They cause a person’s normally round and flexible blood cells to become stiff and sickle shaped.
- This stops the cells from carrying oxygen and moving freely around the body.
- This can cause episodes of severe pain, referred to as sickle cell crises.
- They are treated with strong painkillers, such as morphine, to control the pain.
SYMPTOMS OF SICKLE CELL DISEASE :
- Episodes of pain.
- Swelling of hands and feet.
- Frequent infections.
- Delayed growth or puberty.
- Vision problems.
Death can also result from complications of the disorder.
- Treatment of sickle cell disorders mostly focuses on preventing and treating complications.
- The disease in India occurs predominantly in eastern Gujarat, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, western Odisha and in pockets of the Nilgiri Hills in north Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
- In Odisha, the disease is prevalent among tribal communities.
- The sickle cells die early, which causes a constant shortage of red blood cells.
- Also, when they travel through small blood vessels, they get stuck and clog the blood flow.
- This can cause pain and other serious problems such infection, acute chest syndrome and stroke.
SOURCES:DownToEarth | World Sickle Cell Day 2020 | UPSC
DISCOVER MORE : Important UN Observances